Saturday, June 6, 2009
News from our pal Michael Arenella:
JAZZ AGE LAWN PARTY ON GOVERNORS ISLAND
SATURDAY AND SUNDAY, JUNE 6th and 7th, 2009
11:00 AM to 5 PM
Michael Arenella and His Dreamland Orchestra invites you to join us on this hidden gem just off the southeastern tip of Manhattan, nestled in the heart of majestic New York Harbor.
Under a shady grove of centuries-old trees, caressed by fresh sea air, a sprawling green surrounded by historic officers quarters and 18th century naval ramparts becomes the setting for a true Gatsby affair.
Widely anticipated by flappers, sporting gents and tiny tots alike, this event has been featured annually by The New York Times and the Sartorialist.
A wide array of music, food & drink, activities, games and contests are open for all ages to enjoy:
* A delightful variety of refreshing summer cocktails, wine, prosecco and beer are available and will be served by expert mixologists.
* Picnickers are welcome. There will also be gourmet coffee and a yummy assortment of sandwiches, salads and other treats available.
* Vintage 78 records spun on 1920s Victor Credenza phonograph machine by Matthew Hinson
* 1920s Motorcar Exhibition - take a spin around the island in a genuine rumbleseat; hold on to your hat!
* Vintage clothing dealers and boutique milliners including Ellen Christine, Cassie McGregor and Leigh Magar of Magar Hatworks. They will all be peddling wares, so be sure to tuck some cash into your garter.
* Special literature/ephemera booths and readings by the Dorothy Parker Society & F. Scott Fitzgerald Society
* Horseshoe Toss
* Tug O' War
* Parade Of Hats (Sunday Only)
* Pie Recipe Contest (Saturday Only)* - Categories: "Mom's Best", "Most Original, and "Hobo's Choice." Special Prizes and coveted gift certificates to be awarded.
* If you'd like to sign up for the pie contest, you must pre-register by emailing Sarah Liston at email@example.com
The State of New York has cut funding for programming on Governors Island. While the island will thankfully remain open, there will be no further allocation provided for entertainment on the island. This means that while the Dreamland Orchestra will be performing, the costs to cover the band, stage, dance floor, and all other expenses will not be provided by the state this year, and will depend on private donations and sponsorship. If you would like to contribute to the Jazz Age Lawn Party please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Ferries depart on the hour from downtown Manhattan to Governors Island:
9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 5pm
Ferries return to downtown on the half hour from Governors Island to Manhattan:
10:30am, 11:30am, 12:30am, 1:30pm, 2:30pm , 3:30pm, 4:30pm, and 5:30pm, and 6:30pm (final boat leaves at 7pm)
Governors Island Ferry
10 South Street, in lower Manhattan
Just northeast of the Staten Island Ferry
R train to Whitehall Street
(Photo courtesy of the Dorothy Parker Society)