Monday, August 31, 2009

Good-bye Summer!!

by FredoThe Greenpoint at Dutch Kills

What can I say? I am not a huge fan of summer. Sure I love baseball, Tales of the Cocktail, Gin Rickeys, Long Beach Island, seersucker, bikinis, and what not, but the heat, especially here on the East Coast makes it unbearable by the end of July. So I bid summer adieu! Arrivederci! Adios! And see ya next year! I'm ready for Autumn!

Besides a relief from the humidity and heat, the end of summer lets me indulge in the Manhattan cocktail and her Brooklyn cousins. One of my favorite variations of the Manhattan is called The Greenpoint. This exquisite libation was developed by barkeep Michael McIlroy of Milk & Honey. It brings the herbal complexity of yellow Chartreuse into the Perfect Manhattan recipe by replacing the dry vermouth. Part perfect, part classic, The Greenpoint's taste is nothing but original. Last week, I was in Dutch Kills in Long Island City and broke my no Manhattans from Memorial Day to Labor Day rule! I had to with the man himself behind the bar. And it was so good, being so bad!

The Greenpoint
2 oz Rittenhouse 100 proof bonded Rye
1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1/2 oz sweet vermouth
Dash orange bitters
Dash Angostura bitters
Lemon peel garnish

Combine ingredients over ice and stir. Let sit for a minute or so and stir again. Strain into frosted coupe, serve up and garnish with a twist of lemon peel.

Where to get it: Dutch Kills, White Star, and wherever Michael is behind the stick.

Salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment