Our pal Michael Arenella officially closes the book on summer with the FALL JAZZ AGE LAWN PARTY ON GOVERNORS ISLAND, this SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2009 from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Michael Arenella and His Dreamland Orchestra invites you to join us on this hidden gem just off the southeastern tip of Manhattan, nestled in the heart of majestic New York Harbor.
Under a shady grove of centuries-old trees, caressed by fresh sea air, a sprawling green surrounded by historic officers’ quarters and 18th century naval ramparts becomes the setting for a true Gatsby affair. A recession-friendly $5 admission gives you access to one of the Fall's most magnificent celebrations..
Widely anticipated by flappers, sporting gents and tiny tots alike, this event has been featured and reviewed consistently by The New York Times and the Sartorialist.
A wide array of music, food & drink, activities, games and contests are open for all ages to enjoy:
- A delightful variety of refreshing cocktails will be served by St. Germain.
- Picnickers are welcomed and encouraged.
- Tasty sandwiches and BBQ provided by Cercle Rouge.
- Authentic '78 records from the 1920s played on a phonograph provided by Michael Cumella of WFMU's Antique Phonograph Music Program.
- Charleston lessons given by dance legend Roddy Caravella of Sandra Cameron Dance Studio.
- 1920s Motorcar Exhibition - take a spin around the island in a genuine rumbleseat; hold on to your hat!
- Vintage clothing dealers and boutique milliners - They will all be peddling wares, so be sure to tuck some cash into your garter.
- Special literature/ephemera booths and readings by the Dorothy Parker Society & F. Scott Fitzgerald Society.
-Swimsuit competition - for women and men!
- Vintage portraits by R.A. Friedman.
- Tug O’ War
- Parade Of Hats
- Bake Sale!
- Pie Recipe Contest - Categories: “Mom’s Best,” “Best Savory,” "Most Deliciously Unusual," and “Hobo’s Choice”. Special Prizes and coveted gift certificates to be awarded.
* If you'd like to sign up for the pie contest, you must pre-register by emailing Sarah Liston at govislandpie at gmail dot com
Call for Baked Goods!
Help support the Lawn Party by baking! If you have a bakers touch, please bake some goodies to be sold on Governor's Island on Sept 27th. If you wish to participate please contact Cameryn Aims, camerina84 at gmail dot com. Include your Name, Email and Phone Number, and a Description (including quantity) of what you plan to donate (so we can adequately showcase your fine goods.) Also, let us know the best way and time to contact you. Please submit all information no later than Sept 20th. Remember, this is an all day event, so please bake accordingly (things that travel well and will hold up as we have fun in the sun- cookies, brownies, and cup cakes work well.) Thank you and we look forward to seeing you there and sampling your wares!
*If you plan on entering a pie into our Pie Contest, please consider bringing an additional pie or two, to be sold at our table*
(photo courtesy of the New York Times Sunday Styles)