Thursday, October 1, 2009

Gentleman's Companion - Day 10 - The East India House Cocktail

by Fredo

Mr. Baker says of THE EAST INDIA HOUSE COCKTAIL "being one for any man's book, & garnered in the Royal Bombay Yacht Club, India, 1932.." He rambles on about something around a fiancee and Delhi but I have no doubt she was forgotten by Morning tea. Especially, after a few of these great cognac cocktails.

THE EAST INDIA HOUSE COCKTAIL
1 1/2 jiggers of Cognac (I used Hennessey)
1 tsp of pineapple syrup (I added pineapple juice to simple syrup formula - tasted about right)
2/3 tsp of Maraschino (Luxardo)
1 tsp of orange Curacao
3 dashes of orange bitters (Regan's)

Mr. Baker suggests shaking the ingredients with "lots of ice and strain into Manhattan glass, twisting a bit of lime peel on at the last." I didn't feel this drink warranted shaking. The pineapple juice is slight at best. I stirred and strained the drink into a sherbet glass, garnished with lemon peel in lieu of lime. I really like this drink and I will investigate how to make proper pineapple syrup. Salute.

No comments:

Post a Comment